On September 20th, Apple released the iOS 10 and macOS Sierra updates. These updates are incompatible with a number of software applications. The most critical is the removal of the PPTP protocol which enabled campus Mac users to connect to Unpad’s virtual private network, vpn.unpad.ac.id.
If you have a computer that has macOS Sierra installed on it and need a VPN client that supports PPTP, Unpad has obtained access to Shimo VPN Client for Mac. Unpad Students can download Shimo for free at https://www.shimovpn.com/students/. Once there, complete the request form, selecting Universitas Padjadjaran as your school in question 2. Follow the tutorial in step 4 to connect to Unpad’s VPN.
Set up your VPN connection:
- Click the Shimo icon in top toolbar.
- Click Add a VPN Account. The Preferences: Account window opens.
- Click the + button located in bottom left corner.
- Select PPTP/L2PT for VPN account type and click Create.
- Enter settings as shown below.
Remote Host: vpn.unpad.ac.id
Password: YourID password
- Close the Preferences: Account window by clicking the red button in top left corner.
Connect to vpn.unpad.ac.id
- Click the Shimo icon in top menu bar again and then click vpn.unpad.ac.id. You will know that you are connected when you see a 2 displayed inside the Shimo icon in the top menu bar and if you click the icon the indicator next to vpn.unpad.ac.id will be green.
- To disconnect, simply click on the Shimo icon and then click vpn.unpad.ac.id. The green light will go out and the 1 will be removed from inside of icon.